1. To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
2. Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
3. I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
4. Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink—under any circumstances.
5. You need not expect to get your book right the first time. Go to work and revamp or rewrite it. God only exhibits his thunder and lightning at intervals, and so they always command attention. These are God’s adjectives. You thunder and lightning too much; the reader ceases to get under the bed, by and by.
6. Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
7. I have been an author for 20 years and an ass for 55.
8. Classic—a book which people praise and don’t read.
9. We do not deal much in facts when we are contemplating ourselves.
10. I have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.